Saturday, April 5, 2008

Who are we?

Well hello and welcome to our blog! We are a big ole group of siblings, cousins, parents, in-laws, aunt and uncles who are trying to get and stay fit. Some of us are runners, walkers, hockey players, water polo players, yoga or pilates fans, or parents who have kids to chase down. We just want to be more active and live a healthier, longer life.

Last weekend two sisters and I, in three different states all went out for a run together. We figured this was a great way to keep us all motivated. Afterwards we figured out that two other siblings were running within an hour of our run. This weekend it exploded and we had runners from Maine, Massachusetts, Florida, Louisiana, Kansas, Oregon, Texas and a few more states yet to add their totals.

Some of us have our own training blogs, but we decided to start one for the whole group. Sometimes you just want to add a random comment and don't want to write a big long post, or sometimes you don't want to have your own blog, but don't mind posting every now and then. So that's the idea here. There's a big group of us who will be contributing.

So let me introduce you to the first poster, me. I'm a 32 year old girl living in Kansas who has always been a runner at heart despite long breaks in my running. Even though I don't have the lean, mean running machine look, I can hold my own. Last year at my brother's wedding, my cousin K, his wife V and I all ran a 5 mile race at Peaks Island. It was amazing but it kicked my butt. I had done some running prior to the race, but now I know I should have run a lot more. Either way, talking with K, we decided to sign up for the Walt Disney World marathon in January 08. K got injured along the way, but I ended up running and had a huge support team. Now K has signed up for the 09 Disney marathon and, the support team, or what we prefer to call the motivators, have committed to either being motivators next year or to run the marathon as well. Some of us will be doing the Marathon, some the Half-Marathon, and some will be doing the Goofy Challenge (doing both the half and whole mary during marathon weekend at Disney).

My favorite post-race snack is a banana with peanut butter. I love running, the Boston Red Sox, knitting, tae-bo, ice cream, coffee and doing multi-state runs with my family!

5 comments:

Hayley said...

I love this introductory post! It pretty much sums it up, but you forgot to mention that if it weren't for you many of us wouldn't be running at all...you are amazing Andria, and thank you for inspiring and motivating me, Bobby, and a few other family members. You rock!! :D

Andria said...

Thanks Storm!

Hayley said...

Bock bock! :D

Ken said...

Nice Post! I think we will also be having some 5K participants....Prudie, Sarah, and Kat!

Anonymous said...

Valarie and Katerina will now be contributing to the blog.
Wayne