Saturday, April 12, 2008

Happiness Overcomes

This is just a general post because I really want to re-iterate to EVERYONE that although I know many of us contributing to this blog have MAJOR goals in mind - such as a Goofy or a Marathon or a Half Marathon, that exercise is about the greatest thing for your body, mind and soul. You should be doing it because it makes you feel good or you enjoy your clothes getting a little bigger (Peanut and Bobby). You should do it because it makes you happy not because you have to. I have learned over my years in the USMC that I have to do things to make it enjoyable because I don't always enjoy running my miles. I vary it up with the elliptical or speed walking or sprints or a bicycle or finding someone to exercise with. Sometimes I sign up for a 5K run to help me get motivated. But I also know that even on days when I don't feel like doing it, I know that if I can just drag my butt off the couch then once I get moving, I am completely refreshed. It is a way of life and whether you are walking 1 mile in an hour or running 5 miles in an hour. You are making your heart and body healthier and you are doing something for yourself. In today's society with work and kids and sports and spouses and life in general, it's real easy to forget to make time for yourself - this is a way you can get that time back for you and only you. You are adding days to your life and days OUT of the hospital every time you exercise. Who wants to live on machines in a hospital? Not me!! I challenge you to this - think of yourself 4 months ago and think of yourself now - are you better or worse? The time you have taken to exercise - was it lost time in your life? Are you better or worse for spending that time exercising? I just see a lot of emails from everyone who sound as though they are not proud of their distance or time they have exercised and I say this - If you are out there doing it, you are ahead of half of the people in the United States. Everyone is doing SUPERBLY and should hold their head high. I dont' know how else to say it - if you are out there doing it - you're doing AWESOME!!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Amen!!!

Andria said...

Here here!

valerie said...

Tracie,
You are so onto me. I can easily sit on the couch and watch an hour of fitness TV. I can go back to bed for 20 minutes to "plan my day", and then of course, its too late to run. Ha! The hardest part of this whole thing will be to get dressed and JUST OPEN THE DOOR to get outside. Once you do, though, its great. This morning I struggled to do just that- GET OUT THE DOOR__- I did it, and now feel so much better.

Hayley said...

Couldn't have said it better myself! You are like the Captain of all the Motivators, I'm so glad you'll be at the sidelines at Disney!

me said...

You are such a great motivator--must have come from your mom--gotta go run