Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Tracie's Turn

Okay, I can't give an exact reason, because honestly I have been doing it for so long now it is just part of my life. I have learned over the years that I feel better the weeks that I exercise then the weeks that I don't.

Maybe I do it because my job requires it, maybe I do it because as a firefighter, if it's my family and my house is on fire, I don't want a fat, out-of-shape firefighter trying to get me out of a burning building because they were more interested in eating pizza and watching TV then staying prepared for their job.
Maybe I do it for this country. I have a standard to uphold to fight for the freedom of this country. Yes this country has its problems and I will NOT discuss politics but I LOVE this country and I would put my life on the line for it in a heartbeat and not even think twice about it....and if there is someone firing a weapon at me or chasing me or doing who knows what, I will NOT falter because during peacetime I was too busy playing video games or too tired to get off my butt and exercise.
I know one thing for sure, I do it for me and me alone. There is no one else that I do it for. So when I don't do it, there is no one I let down besides myself, there is no one I am hurting besides myself. Is this selfish? Maybe so but how often in life do we actually get to do something for ourselves?

What motivates you? Who's next?












2 comments:

Andria said...

This is a good one too! Thanks for running for us. But you're right. It just turns in to a part of your life and it's one thing that you can do selfishly when so much other stuff needs your time and attention. But while you are doing it for selfish reasons, you're ensuring that you will be around with your kids and that's not selfish at all.

valerie said...

I am going to print this out and carry it with me. You are so good at expressing yourself.