Thursday, May 8, 2008

Typhoon Lagoon: Mary's Review

Today on the e-mail list I mentioned my intentions to go to Disney's Typhoon Lagoon during our trip to Walk Disney World (WDW). I am setting up this blog to explain and answer some of the questions readers asked about the park. Please ignore this post if you are not interested.- Mary

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Of all the Parks at WDW, my favorite is Typhoon Lagoon! I like it even more then the Magic Kingdom.***

I have been three times and loved every bit of it.

Here are some of my favorite things about Typhoon Lagoon:

- They have lots of places for young kids to explore in safety. This isn't a water park just for adults. AND it's not a park just for kids. It's a good blend of activities that accommodate a wide variety of ages and people (assuming you are a person who likes the water or who likes to people watch).

- In January there will not be many people at Typhoon Lagoon. It's a real treat to have no waits in line and your pick of where to sit.

- The rides are great and with no lines you can go on them again and again.

- With me, price is important and the basic adult price for admission to Typhoon Lagoon is $41. The basic admission to Magic Kingdom (or one of the other parks) is $75/day.

- It's different from the Theme Parks (and makes a nice respite from the go-go rush-rush pace of the Theme Parks) AND it is still Disney in the good ways. Everything is accessible. They accommodate children and adults. It is clean, fun, and there are thoughtful "Disney touches" everywhere.

- It's part of the WDW system so there is free transportation to Typhoon Lagoon if you are staying on the Disney property.

- The final reason it is my favorite park is because I love to swim and be in the water! I also love to sit and people watch.

Some of the drawbacks:
- It is a "weather permitting" place. Of course, it won't be as cold as Bar Harbor in July, but it can be rainy or storming.

- The beach won't have the classic Disney characters strolling around. This is not a drawback for me but it may be a drawback for those with young children.

- It is open fewer hours then the Theme Parks. In January, Typhoon Lagoon is usually open from 10-5.

For More information:
Here is a link to the official WDW web-site: http://disneyworld.disney.go.com/wdw/parks/parkLanding?id=TLLandingPage

Here is a fan-site with more info:
http://www.allearsnet.com/btp/faq_tl.htm

*** WDW includes several categories of attractions, including 4 Theme Parks (Magic Kingdom, Animal Kingdom, Hollywood Studio, and Epcot), 2 Water Parks (Typhoon Lagoon and Blizzard Beach), 2 Miniature Golf courses, 2 outdoor shopping/restaurant areas (Downtown Disney and The Boardwalk), The ESPN SportZone and facilities, and a few other smaller attractions scattered around the thousands acre compound.

4 comments:

What Me Run? said...

Peanut's comments on Typhoon Lagoon - before Reading Mary's post

Typhoon Lagoon is a water park. It has awesome water slides that I
> will NOT want to climb after the marathon – thus a reason to go before
> the marathon. It also has a “river” that circles the park, so you can
> just float along in a tube. In all, it is less running around than
> chasing TK through the Magic Kingdom. He liked it a lot last year –
> maybe I can convince him to go there a day before and a day after the
> race… The first time to ride the slides, then next time to build sand
> castles. This year, when we went, there were people, but not huge
> crowds. There were small lines on the water slides – although you
> still had to walk up the stairs and pathways. Also, there were plenty
> of lounge chairs in the shade – so we didn’t have to deal too much
> with sunburns. We had some nice snacks there, and they had some
> healthy choices to purchase as well.

Anonymous said...

Peanut, I love your comments.
My favorite part of the trip to Disney in January this year for going to Typhoon Lagoon with you, TK, and Katerina.
It was great!!!!

Tracie said...

I want to thank everyone for filling me in on Typhoon Lagoon. I have been in the south for a while now...it might even be too cold for me...which is why I'm guessing there are short lines in January... my kids would be the first ones in the water though!!! Talking about the plans for WDW is starting to get me really psyched!!

valerie said...

Don't forget the chance to go swimming with sharks. Katerina will be happy to take Sarah in the pool with her.