Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Boston Walk for Hunger. Mary puts in 4 Miles

Hi all,

The following message was sent around via e-mail and several folks suggested I post it on the blog so others could read it. When I get pictures from the event I will try to figure out a way to post them so that you can see our achievement.

- Mary

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Put me down for 4 miles on Sunday.

I walked those miles as part of the Boston Walk for Hunger. It was a 20 mile walk and I was only able to join the group for the start and the finish because I needed to go to work in the middle.

But let me tell you about the experience.

I was walking with a group of homeless men who had raised pledges and decided to join the 5,000 other fundraisers (for those who don't know, my job is a program director and chaplain to the homeless community of Boston and Worcester Massachusetts).

There were 12 of us at the start line and in many ways we were similar to the folks around us. We wanted to get some exercise, we wanted to be part of the large-group atmosphere, we wanted the sense of accomplishment that comes after 20 miles, and we wanted to end hunger and poverty! We were also a group unlike any other. Where other walkers had fancy shoes and slick windbreakers, our group members were walking in all the clothes they had and shoes from donations that were either too big or too small. Our group had raised funds from their friends (who are also living on the streets) and the pledge sheet included donations of dimes, quarters, three dollars… three cents. And the men I walked with carried backpacks filled with every item they owned.

It was so exciting at the start of the walk. My group knew it would be hard and were ready to endure for as long as they could. So, with determination, we each put one foot in front of the other and got to work.

I needed to leave at mile 2.5 and, before I departed, received a big hug from each person. When I joined them at mile 18.5, only 5 people from my group remained. There had been many hugs along the walk as other folks needed to leave (to check into their shelters early or to attend other programs).

As we came closer to the end, their spirits’ were high and empowered. They were tired and overcome with pride. It had taken 9 hours! But they were determined to stay together and to go as slow as the slowest person needed. Because of that support and camaraderie, everyone, even the slowest person, could finish.

So put me down for 4 miles on Sunday. Some of the best walking I have ever done.

2 comments:

Hayley said...

An absolutely beautiful story. Thank you for sharing and posting!

Anonymous said...

If you want a really good workout you should visit some of the Gold's gyms in Boston.